ErosAntEros was born from the union of Davide Sacco, stage director and music designer, and Agata Tomšič, actress and dramaturg, in January 2010.
Their artistic research manipulates various kinds of sources and expressive languages, with the aim to connect theatre to life and make the imagination a weapon to transform reality. The group they guide consists of all the persons who are from time to time involved in the realization of their projects.
After the first performances they focus on the role of the artist in contemporary society, pursuing two main lines of research: one explores the interaction between voice and sound (On the difficulty of telling the truth, 2014), the other based on dramaturgy, investigates theatrical fictional devices and the relationship with the spectator (Like fireflies, 2015).
In 2016 they produce with ERT – Emilia Romagna Teatro Alarms!, a show on contemporary neo-fascism, which premieres at the Arena del Sole in Bologna as part of VIE Festival.
Their dedication to an engaged theatre that does not give up the aesthetic value of form continues the following year with:
- 1917, a poetic-musical show dedicated to the October Revolution, with the string quartet Quartetto Noûs and the literary consultancy of professor Fausto Malcovati, produced with Ravenna Festival in 2017;
- We want everything!, a work dedicated to sixty-eight and contemporary movements, produced with TPE – Teatro Piemonte Europa and Polo del ’900 of Turin in 2018;
- Disconcert for rights, vocal-musical research with the actress Emanuela Villagrossi, the consultancy of the Centre for Music Production, Research and Education Tempo Reale and the drawings of the artist-activist Gianluca Costantini, produced with the national theatre Teatro della Toscana in 2019, under the patronage of Amnesty International;
- CONFINI, a new international and multilingual co-production with TNL – Théâtre National du Luxembourg, Teatro della Tosse and Ravenna Festival, in collaboration with Fondazione Campania dei Festival – Campania Teatro Festival, on the history of the European Union, the migrations of the past, the climate emergency and the future of humanity.
Over the years they have been programmed, supported and produced by important theaters, festivals and production and residency centers in Italy and abroad, such as:
TNL – Théâtre National du Luxembourg (Lussemburgo, LU), Ravenna Festival (Ravenna), ERT – Emilia Romagna Teatro (Bologna, Modena), Teatro della Toscana (Pontedera, Scandicci), TPE – Teatro Piemonte Europa (Torino), VIE Scena Contemporanea Festival (Bologna), Contemporanea Festival (Prato), Santarcangelo Festival (Santarcangelo di Romagna, RN), Terni Festival (Terni), Nordisk Teaterlaboratorium (Holstebro – DK), Primorski Poletni Festival (Capodistria – SI), Ipercorpo (Forlì), Crisalide Festival (Forlì), Armunia (Castiglioncello, LI), Teatri di Vetro (Roma), Trasparenze (Modena), Teatro Akropolis (Genova), L’altra scena (Piacenza), La stagione dei teatri (Ravenna), La Soffitta – Università di Bologna (Bologna), Wonderland Festival (Brescia), Teatro I (Milano), Corte Ospitale (Rubiera, RE), OTSE – Officine Theatrikès Salento Ellàda (Castrignano de’ Greci, LE).
Since 2018 they are directing POLIS Teatro Festival in Ravenna, programming artists of national importance and implementing participatory projects that involve citizens. In 2020, in response to the pandemic crisis, POLIS turns into an international online conference on the theatre of tomorrow involving 67 artists, operators and scholars from 12 different countries; their contributions are collected in the book released with the publishing house Editoria & Spettacolo entitled Quale teatro per il domani? (Which theatre for tomorrow?).
In 2020 they are consultants for the candidacy of Piran2025 as European Capital of Culture, taking care of the conception, development and artistic direction of the Istrian International Centre for Contemporary Performing Arts.
They have always had a strong relationship with the University of Bologna, especially with the professor Marco De Marinis and the Centre of theatrical promotion La Soffitta, the Campus of Ravenna and the Fondazione Flaminia.
From 2012 to 2014 they were members of E-production, sharing the artistic direction of the Fésta festival and the Ravenna viso-in-aria theatre season by Teatro delle Albe.
From 2013 to 2018 they were guides in the non-scuola theater workshops with teens project by Teatro delle Albe.
Since 2018 their activities are supported by the Municipality of Ravenna and the Region Emilia-Romagna.
- For a new political-aesthetic theatre. Ten years of ErosAntEros through four dichotomies, essay wins the Second Prize in the Arts and Culture Competition “Istria Nobilissima” 2020
- We want everything! text wins the Second Prize in the Competition of Art and Culture “Istria Nobilissima” 2019
- We want everything! is finalist at the Festival Teatrale di Resistenza 2019 by Museo Cervi di Gattatico (RE)
- Disconcert for rights wins the national theater Teatro della Toscana call for residencies 2019
- Agata Tomsic wins the call by Festival d’Avignon and Pro Helvetia, promoted by the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, to participate at the Avignon Seminar curated by Eva-Maria Bertschy (Milo Rau’s dramaturg) in 2018
- Dalla luce del mosaico all’immagine profetica wins the Valli del Natisone Through Landscape call for residencies 2017
- On the difficulty of telling the truth wins a special mention at the Theater Festival of Resistance 2017
- On the difficulty of telling the truth is finalist at the Ermo Colle prize 2017
- Dalla luce del mosaico all’immagine profetica is finalist at the Teatri del Sacro prize 2017
- Like fireflies‘ text wins the First Prize in the Competition of Art and Culture “Istria Nobilissima” 2016
- Like fireflies wins a residency at Genius loci prize by Teatro Akropolis, Genova 2015
- “Chi è? Da dove viene? Dove l’ho incontrata prima?” Studio della parabola mitologica di Ninfa attraverso secoli di sopravvivenze in filosofia, storia dell’arte e psicologia, the essay wins the First prize at the Competition of Art and Culture “Istria Nobilissima” 2015
- Like fireflies wins a residency at Trasparenze > Festival e Residenze prize by Teatro dei Venti, Modena 2013
- Nympha, mane! text is finalist in the XXX edition of Premio Firenze 2012
- Nympha, mane! text wins the Second Prize Competition of Art and Culture “Istria Nobilissima” 2012
- Nympha, mane! is finalist at the Tuttoteatro.com Dante Cappelletti Prize 2011
- Quale teatro per il domani?, curated by A. Tomšič, Spoleto, Editoria & Spettacolo, 2020.
- A. Tomšič, Seguire la propria missione »fino all’ultimo«: i teatranti tra i Giganti nell’era del Covid, in TEATRODOMANI. Prospettive della scena all’epoca del Covid-19, curated by Marco De Marinis, “Culture Teatrali”, n. 29, 2020, pp. 76-79.
- A. Tomšič, Per un nuovo teatro estetico-politico. ErosAntEros nell’incontro con Marco De Marinis, in La passione e il metodo: studiare teatro. 48 allievi per Marco De Marinis, Genova, AkropolisLibri, 2019, pp. 342-351.
- A. Tomšič, Citazione e montaggio, in Performance project. #Complici di una scena presente, curated by M. Schiavoni, Sigismundus editrice, 2016.
- A. Tomšič, Il “modello atlantico” come metodo compositivo. Pratiche ed esempi dalla nuova scena italiana, in La terza avanguardia. Ortografie dell’ultima scena italiana, curated by S. Mei, “Culture Teatrali”, n. 24, 2015, pp. 187-199.
- A. Tomšič, Itinerari scenici e compositivi attraverso la Ninfa e l’Atlante di Warburg. Esperienze di ricerca del gruppo ErosAntEros, in Staging Mnemosyne, curated by D. Sacco- E. Verla Bovino, “Engramma” n. 130, ottobre-novembre 2015, http://engramma.it.
- A. Tomšič, “Chi è? Da dove viene? Dove l’ho incontrata prima?” - Studio della parabola mitologica di Ninfa attraverso secoli di sopravvivenze in filosofia, storia dell’arte e psicologia, in 48. concorso d’arte e di cultura Istria Nobilissima. Antologia delle opere premiate, Trieste, Unione Italiana – Fiume e Università Popolare di Trieste, 2015, pp. 89-107.
- A. Tomšič, Creazione e potere delle immagini: breve sprofondamento cronologico dall’antichità a oggi, in Teatro Akropolis – Testimonianze ricerca azioni vol. VI, curated by D. Beronio e C. Tafuri, Genova, AkropolisLibri, 2015, pp. 103-150.
- A. Tomšič, Nympha, mane!, in 45. Concorso d’arte e di cultura Istria Nobilissima. Antologia delle opere premiate, Trieste, Unione Italiana – Fiume e Università Popolare di Trieste, 2012, pp. 135-142.
PH Aleš Rosa